WHAT ARE THE FUNCTIONS OF THE SGB?
The governing body must:
- Decide on an admissions policy for the school;
- decide on the language policy of the school;
- decide on what religious practices will be followed at the school;
- adopt a code of conduct for learners which sets out disciplinary procedures.
- All these decisions and policies must be in line with national policies.
The SGB must also:
- Adopt a constitution setting out how the SGB will operate;
- adopt a school mission statement setting out the values and beliefs of the school;
- decide the times of the school day;
- administer the school’s property, buildings and grounds;
- make recommendations regarding the appointment of educators at the school.
In addition, a governing body can be given any of these functions:
- maintaining and improving the school’s property, buildings and grounds;
- decide on the extramural curriculum and the choice of subject options according to provincial curriculum policy;
- buying textbooks, educational material and/or equipment for the school;
- paying for services to the school.
The WCED supports SGBs by advising them on their responsibilities and providing training in financial management.
CAN YOU HAVE A SAY IN THE RUNNING OF THE SCHOOL IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE SGB?
All parents whose children are registered at school have roles and responsibilities. Even if you are not elected onto the school governing body, you still have the right to be involved in the affairs of the school by attending meetings of parents.
You also have the right to be consulted by the educators or the principal about the schooling activities of your child. The principal and the educators at the school must inform you about the behaviour, attendance and learning progress of your child.
Contact details of SGB members:
|SURNAME AND NAME|
|1||Mrs Deirdre Cawcuttemail@example.com|
|1||Mr Duncan Adriaansfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|2||Mr Clive Belcheremail@example.com|
|3||Mrs Suraya Gierdienfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|4||Mr Mark Hessemail@example.com|
|5||Mr Peter Ruthenbergfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|6||Mrs Michelle Bellemail@example.com|
|7||Mrs Coralie Thompsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||Mrs Juanita Yardinemail@example.com|