Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions. At WGJS we believe that having awareness of our emotions, and an understanding of how to respond in different situations, equips young girls to develop empathy and the ability to recognise and express their emotions appropriately.
A child who understands the important role of emotions will have a better foundation for a joyful, fulfilled and integrated life. Emotional Intelligence is universally relevant. It can benefit every individual, every organisation and every profession. It has the capacity to transform each person and their relationships.
Learning Support and Success Centre
Wynberg Girls’ Junior School has a SUCCESS Centre (Success Unlimited in a Child-Centred Support System). This Centre assists learners, families and educators in creating a safe environment for dealing with learning difficulties; as well as extending learners who need additional stimulation and also offering support to learners who may benefit from short-term counselling to deal with a personal issue.
- Grade R: the facilitation of preventative groups focusing on stranger danger; body knowledge and awareness
- Grade 1-7: holistic workshops for Healthy Lifestyle awareness
- A Big Sister / mentor programme with Wynberg Girls’ High School
- Educational resources and talks for parents (dealing with parenting issues such as discipline) and educators (dealing with social issues such as awareness of abuse or neglect)
- The training of peer mediators
Where necessary, referral to external agencies will also be facilitated by the social worker.